For those who have been injured in a car accident or other personal injury accident, taking legal action may be the best course of action moving forward. But before you file a claim on your own, have you considered seeking a free consultation with a personal injury law firm?
A consultation can provide you with important information about your rights and how to pursue damages, and is completely free of charge and comes with no obligations. Here is an overview of what you need to know about what is involved in a consultation with a lawyer.
What Happens During a Consultation with an Attorney?
During a consultation with a Long Island car accident lawyer, you and the attorney will have the opportunity to learn more about one another. During the consultation, you should ask the attorney important questions about his or her experience and about your case. More information on questions to ask is provided below.
In addition to asking the attorney questions, the attorney will also use the consultation to ask you questions about your case. These questions may include how your injuries happened, what damages you have suffered, who you think was at fault, etc. If the attorney thinks that you may have a strong case, he or she will make a recommendation about what to do next.
Preparing for a Legal Consultation
Your consultation is very important, and it is essential that you are prepared for it. You should arrive at your consultation with as much information about your accident as possible, including any evidence that you may have.
You should also be as honest about your accident and injuries as possible, including information that may be sensitive to your family. False information will not aid you nor your attorney, and it is important to remember that everything you tell your lawyer is confidential.
You should also come prepared with a list of questions to ask the attorney. Questions to ask include:
- How much do you charge? Finding out how an attorney charges is one of the most important things that you need know early on. An attorney who charges hourly should be avoided, as this can quickly become very expensive. It is best to choose an attorney who works on a contingency fee basis, which means that the attorney is paid contingent on your case being a success.
- What type of personal injury law do you practice? Personal injury attorneys may specialize in a variety of different practice areas. Choose an attorney who has experience with the type of accident that you experienced.
- Who will be working on my case? Most good law firms will have a team of professionals and experts who will all collaborate to work on your case.
- What is my case worth? It is hard to know how much a case is worth upfront. However, your attorney should be able to provide you with some information about what he or she thinks you may be able to recover based on the damages that you have suffered. If an attorney promises to recover millions of dollars on your behalf, he or she is likely overpromising.
- How long will my case take? As with knowing how much your case is worth, knowing how long your case will take to resolve is very complicated, and depends upon myriad factors. However, do not be fooled into believing that your case will be resolved in a mere matter of weeks. Most claims take months for a settlement to be reached.
Consultations and Confidentiality
A great thing about a consultation with a Long Island personal injury attorney is that a consultation is completely confidential. What you say to the attorney will remain between you and the attorney, whether or not you decide to hire the attorney or use the law firm’s services.
In addition to being confidential, a consultation is completely no-obligation. You have no duty to work with the law firm after receiving the consultation if you do not think that the attorney is the right fit for you or for your case.
Should I Schedule a Consultation?
If you have been injured due to the fault of another, scheduling a consultation is in your best interest. Even if you do not think that you have a claim, an attorney can provide you with a more accurate idea of your rights and what compensation you may be able to recover. Remember, claims are usually appropriate only when the injuries occurred due to the fault of another. You cannot file a personal injury claim for an accident or injury that occurred due to your own fault, except in special circumstances such as a no-fault car accident insurance claim or a workers’ compensation claim.
The Cost of a Consultation
The other great news about a consultation is that a personal injury law firm will almost always offer a case consultation completely free of charge. Because attending a consultation will not cost you a penny, there is really no reason not to seek one.
How Do I Schedule a Free Case Consultation?
You can schedule a free case consultation with the Long Island personal injury lawyers at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to discuss your car accident lawsuit or other personal injury claim type by calling us directly. You can also use your our online contact form to contact us for an immediate free case evaluation.
Case consultations can take place at our offices, located at 2001 Marcus Avenue in Lake Success on Long Island. However, if you cannot travel to our location, we will gladly travel to yours.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation Today
At Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our personal injury lawyers will do everything that we can to answer your questions and move your claim forward. Your consultation with us is always free, and we will never charge you any fees unless your case is successful and you walk away with compensation. Your privacy is very important to us, and we will do everything that we can to respect your personal information. If you have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, please contact us today to learn more now.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900