If you or a family member was harmed in a bicycle accident in Oyster Bay, you could retain a lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to handle your case. You might be dealing with a number of related issues after experiencing this event. You deserve to devote time to healing and spending time with your loved ones.
How Hiring Our Lawyers Can Benefit You in the Aftermath of Your Accident
Your legal team could take on the entirety of your case—you should not have to worry about accomplishing any task yourself. Count on your lawyer to do the following for you:
- Valuate your accident-related losses
- Write and send a demand letter to the insurance company with your claim
- Investigate your accident to determine fault and liability
- Collect evidence that proves your testimony
- Interview eyewitnesses that saw the accident happen
- Recruit accident reconstructionists and medical expert witnesses to testify to your losses
- Stand by you in court, if the need arises
- Handle communications with all involved parties
While you might be able to file criminal charges against the other party (if they were violating state law or city codes), this action might not get you the closure you want. Also, criminal charges won’t pay your medical bills. Let a lawyer on our team help you out at this time. You can pursue both kinds of cases at the same time; one will not interfere with the other.
We Operate on Contingency to Make Things Easier for You
Our firm operates on a contingency-fee arrangement, which enables us to start work as soon as you sign the paperwork. Then, we try to secure a settlement or judgment for you. If we are unsuccessful, you will not have to pay us. We take our fee from the compensation we win for you. Our goal is to get a fair award for you that covers your expenses and our fee.
We are not like other firms that make our clients pay per hour or completely upfront.
Causes of Oyster Bicycle Accidents that We Can Help You Sue for
Sometimes, when people are involved in an accident, they think the driver was the only one at fault. However, there could be other circumstances at play. Yes, the driver could have done any of the following to cause or contribute to your accident:
- Decided to drive after drinking more than the legal limit
- Recklessly operate their vehicle, such as speed through traffic, change lanes without the use of a turn signal, or tailgate due to road rage
- Text while behind the wheel or perform other actions than driving—like talking to other passengers or admiring the scenery
- Drive knowing that they are incredibly tired and could fall asleep behind the wheel
Other parties could have caused you to suffer injuries and other losses, though.
Other Losses You May Have Suffered that We Can Help with
A manufacturer could have pushed their faulty vehicle onto the market, despite knowing that their product put users at risk. Commercial entities like trucking companies or restaurants could have encouraged their drivers to violate safe driving practices.
The municipality in charge of keeping the roads and traffic signals safe and working could also be negligent, as they could have left a pothole in the road without a sign or did not fix a stoplight.
Your lawyer can search for evidence of these phenomena. Alternatively, you could have been driving your vehicle when a bicyclist pulled out in front of you. The insurance company could determine that you were slightly distracted, but the bicyclist was not watching out for cross-traffic (and is more at fault). So, you could still secure compensation under CVP §1411.
Your Lawyer Can Assess Your Losses and File for an Appropriate Settlement in Kind
Your bicycle accident could have been minor. You might have been hit by the door of a passenger car while you were not pedaling very fast. However, you could have had to swerve out of the path of a truck going the wrong way and broke your arm upon impact with the ground.
Your lawyer will analyze your case to determine the value of all of your individual losses. This task might seem confusing, as your broken arm does not have an automatic value. Your team will speak with you about how your injuries have affected your life and assign a value to them. The losses you had to pay money for will be valued at the amount they cost you.
For instance, some losses you could have suffered might include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of limb
- Loss of wages, tips, benefits, and bonuses
- Reduced future earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damage to your bicycle
- Medical bills
- In-home help, if you cannot care for your family or yourself while in recovery
Your legal team could inform you of losses that you did not even realize made you eligible to recover damages. Write down all the details you remember about the accident and how it has affected your life. This way, your team can pursue all relevant opportunities for compensation.
New York Law Permits Bicycle Accident Victims a Limited Time to File Suit
You only have a limited time to take legal action after a bicycle accident in Oyster Bay. Under CVP §214, you have two years to file a lawsuit. Other factors could affect this timeline, such as the party you are suing, whether a minor was involved in the accident, or if the other party left the state after the accident.
Why Choose the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP?
Our team handles cases in Nassau, Suffolk, and Queens Counties. Some examples of past client settlements we have won are listed below.
- $175,000 for a bicyclist who suffered a fractured leg in an accident
- Compensation worth 100 times more than what a woman who survived a vehicle accident asked for
- $750,000+ for a truck accident victim with back and neck injuries
Reach Out to the Attorneys on Our Team Today to Discuss Your Oyster Bay Case
Your lawyer could help you secure damages for your Oyster Bay bicycle accident-related losses. We want to help you fight for a fair settlement for your injuries and for justice in your case. However, we cannot start until you agree to let us represent you.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to receive a free consultation with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Oyster Bay, call 516-358-6900