Kids Coming Home From College Protect Yourself

Are your college student home for the holidays? Follow these tips to protect yourself if your child is involved in a car accident.


College students home for the holidays? Protect yourself from liability. Let me be clear on something. I don't want you in my office. And don’t end up in a worse position – across the courtroom from me at the other table either.

Lots of your kids are coming home from college for the break. I want you to be aware of a few things.

First: If your son or daughter is driving a car that you own, and get into an accident, you could be sued. Yes, parents, you, who have literally done nothing to cause the accident, can nevertheless face financial ruin simply by virtue of your ownership of a car with which your child mistakenly caused an accident.

Second: Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security that underage drinking and house parties won’t happen in your house. If you provide access to alcohol, to someone under the legal drinking age, you can be held responsible for what happens after they have consumed it.

There's plenty of ways to protect yourself. Getting an umbrella insurance policy is one. Making a guest list for a house party is another. But mostly keep in mind- its more important to be a parent than it is to be your child's friend.

If your child is injured in a car accident, please contact the Long Island personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe.

Have a happy and safe holiday season everyone!!