Tap to Call Directions

The driver who hit my car was charged with drunk driving. Can I sue the bar where he was drinking before the accident?

Possibly. If the driver was under the legal drinking age of 21, New York law says anyone who sold the driver alcoholic beverages or helped the driver buy alcohol may be held liable for harm the driver causes that is linked to drinking. This is also true for drivers who are of legal age but were visibly impaired when served alcohol.

This is what’s known as a “dram shop” law.

Posted in: Car Accident FAQs