We are taking the threat of COVID-19 very seriously. Click here to find out what our firm is doing.
Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP

Steps to Take If you Suspect Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse

Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Long Island

If you or someone you love is residing in a nursing home, you may have concerns about his or her welfare and the quality of care your loved one is receiving. Nursing homes can be a good option for people who are unable to take care of themselves, allowing them to live in a safe, caring environment.

Every nursing home resident deserves respect, quality health care and the peace of mind to be confident that he or she will be taken care of. Unfortunately, there are many instances when residents of nursing homes are abused and neglected.

Bed sores, lack of proper nutrition, medication errors, misguided or criminal staff using heavy discipline on residents, abuse and exploitation at the hands of staff, lack of urgent medical care, and lack of hygiene are many of the common issues and problems that occur in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities every day.

If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, there are several steps you can take to address the problem.

Call 911 If It’s an Emergency.

If the issue or situation you discover is life threatening, such as an injury, a lack of food, water, medical care, or any other problem that could result in serious injuries or death, call 911 immediately. The phone call you make could save the life of your loved one. Don’t wait for the facility’s staff to address the issue, as they should have acted before the situation reached this point.

Voice your Concerns to Management.

If you know of some problem that is taking place with your loved one, voice your concerns to the management of the facility. Make your concerns known and put them in writing. Put your concerns in writing to the managing staff of the facility, and then send the letter by certified mail. This provides you with evidence that you have put the facility on notice, and the proof that they received your complaints in writing.

Report Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse to the Authorities.

If the abuse or neglect is reported to the authorities, the facility may take notice and resolve the issue. Medicare or Medicaid should be notified if you have any concerns about the delivery of care and services that they are paying the facility for the care of your loved one.

The New York State Department of Health, Nursing Home and ICF/MR Surveillance handles complaints against nursing homes and has a form that you can use to report your complaints in writing through its website. You can also contact the agency by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on its hotline at 1-800-201-4563. Staff answers calls between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday. Voicemails are taken during off hours and on the weekend.

Contact an Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorney on Long Island.

You should discuss your situation with an experienced New York nursing home abuse lawyer who is familiar with the laws of New York and federal laws related to nursing home care.

At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe LLP, we help families in New York get the care they deserve from nursing home facilities and other health-care providers. We also help injured victims get the compensation they deserve for abuse and neglect in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.

Contact us today if you any concerns about the care of your loved one in a nursing home. We are zealous advocates for the elderly. The consultation and claim review are free. If we pursue a civil action against the nursing home, there are no attorney fees unless we recover compensation.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Trusted & Respected