When an auto accident happens, emotions may be high, but there are important things that need to be taken care of at the scene of the accident and soon afterward. Below is a list of first steps that you should take if you are involved in an automobile accident in New York.
One of the most important of those steps is to speak with an experienced car crash lawyer. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Long Island car accident attorneys will help you address urgent issues, such as car repairs, medical treatment and insurance problems. We will act swiftly and diligently to make sure that you receive full compensation for your injuries and losses.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We handle car crashes on Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens and beyond. Se habla espanol.
At The Car Accident Scene
After checking on all drivers and passengers, calling for any emergency medical attention and notifying the police, the steps after a car accident include:
Exchange information with other drivers, including names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers and basic insurance information.
Inform your insurance company and be truthful when telling them what happened and the extent of your injuries. Do not provide them with a written or recorded statement without the advice of your attorney.
Keep track of any medical treatment you receive, and make sure to note any doctors, physical therapists or other medical professionals who provide that treatment.
Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle as soon as possible after the accident.
Use caution when discussing the accident and be wary of early settlement offers from the insurance company.
Speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Auto insurance companies employ adjusters who drive around Long Island. They show up at accident scenes and offer settlements on the spot to accident victims to try to save money. Your claim is almost certainly worth much more and you could be signing away rights. Don’t sign any papers without first speaking with an attorney. Because once you sign those papers, your rights are over.
For a free legal consultation, call 866-878-6774
What to Do If you Are Injured in a Car Accident
Your health should be your first concern after a car accident. It is critical for you to get a full medical examination even if you don’t initially think you’ve been hurt. Many serious injuries may not show symptoms at first, and the adrenaline from a crash can often mask pain and other indications of an injury.
In order to protect your well being, follow these steps after an accident:
- Be sure to request emergency medical assistance at the scene.
- If you believe you need emergency treatment or the first responders recommend transport to the hospital by ambulance, accept these services.
- Now is not the time to act tough. Tell the medical professionals all your symptoms and do not downplay your pain.
- If you decide not to go to the hospital by ambulance, seek medical treatment as soon as possible at an emergency room, urgent care center, your doctor’s office or other treatment facility.
- Be sure to tell the examining doctor that you were in a car accident and describe what happened to your body in the crash.
- Follow through with the treatments prescribed by the doctor, including medication, rehabilitation and other therapies. Avoid missing doctor’s appointments if at all possible. If you are in too much pain to go to the doctor, be sure to tell the office that’s why you are canceling the appointment.
- Keep all receipts and bills for all medical treatments related to the accident, including receipts for prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and medical equipment like arm braces and crutches.
- Make daily notes about how your injuries have affected your life, including the pain you are suffering and the activities you can no longer take part in.
Use Our Free Download to Keep this Information Handy
If you are involved in a car accident in Long Island, you may feel a bit shaken up. You may feel anxiety or other strong emotions or have difficulty organizing your thoughts in the moments after a collision. A stressful situation can make it hard to remember what information you need to collect while at the scene of the accident.
Wouldn’t it be helpful if you had a simple guide to follow?
Our experienced personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP have helped many people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents. While we hope you never have to use it, we have created an easy-to-use Car Accident Checklist. The form guides you through the essential details you need to collect after an accident.
We encourage you to download it, print it out and keep a copy in the glove box of each of your vehicles, along with your insurance card and vehicle registration. The accident form will be there if you need it!
How to Pay your Medical Bills – Explained by Our Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Healing and putting your life back together after an accident should be your main concern. You shouldn’t have to worry about paying for medical treatments – especially when someone else was at a fault for the accident.
The car accident lawyers at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you access all available sources of coverage to pay your medical bills. Depending on your situation, there may be several options to avoid paying the bills out of your pocket.
No-fault insurance is usually available to pay for injuries related to a car accident. This type of coverage is required on all cars registered in New York. It will pay medical costs related to car accident injuries without regard to who was responsible for causing the crash. When you receive benefits under no-fault insurance, there are no deductibles or co-pays.
It is important to act quickly to ensure that you can recover compensation under no-fault insurance. There are strict time limits and other requirements for bringing a claim. An experienced car accident lawyer at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you through the process.
In some situations, it is possible to recover compensation for medical bills from the party responsible for causing the crash. Our firm may be able to arrange for the at-fault driver’s insurance company to pay your medical bills electronically through a process known as “direct pay.”
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Kinds of Compensation you can Get for your Injuries
Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to several kinds of compensation for the injuries suffered in the accident. Examples include:
- Payment for emergency medical treatment
- Payment for ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation and other therapy
- Payment for assistive devices (for example, a wheelchair or hospital bed)
- Payment for lost wages due to your injuries
- Payment for diminished earning capacity due to your injuries
- Payment for pain and suffering
- Payment for lost enjoyment of life
Contact a Long Island Car Accident Lawyer
These are a just a few examples of the many types of compensation you may be able to recover in your car accident claim. For a free review of your situation and free advice about your legal options, speak to a Long Island personal injury attorney from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP now. For a free consultation and case evaluation, contact us and we will respond immediately. We can come to you.