Suppose you got hurt in a personal injury accident. In that case, a Huntington personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, could help you go after compensation for your losses. We are proud to offer representation while we provide compassionate support every step of the way.
Some law firms focus on their own goals, but we focus on your needs and best interests. We go the extra mile, providing extra services at no cost to our clients. For example:
We Handle Insurance Negotiations
If we take your case, you can tell the insurance company to talk to us. After an accident, the injured person often gets deluged by calls for the at-fault party’s insurance company. You do not have to deal with that situation when we represent you. The insurer—including the claims adjuster—is not supposed to contact you if you have a lawyer.
We Will Help You File Your Claim
You will not have to spend hours on the phone or in an online chat trying to jump through hoops to get your medical bills approved and paid. Send us your medical bills, and we will submit them for payment. Since we deal with insurance companies every day, we know how they like bills submitted.
We Will Help You Seek Treatment
We can even help you find a doctor and set up appointments. If you do not know of a doctor who can treat your injuries, we can suggest a physician and help you get on board with that doctor.
We are passionate about helping our clients put their lives back together. Many people find that the inconvenience of dealing with medical bills, doctors’ offices, and claims adjusters is almost as unpleasant as the injury. We take those things off of your plate so that you can focus on getting better.
Our “No Fee Promise”
Many people assume that only rich people can afford to have a lawyer handle their personal injury case, but that is not true. You will not have any upfront legal fees or out-of-pocket litigation expenses when we take care of your claim.
We pay all the upfront expenses, like getting medical records, hiring expert witnesses, and paying court filing fees. We only get reimbursed for those costs when we win your case.
We do not charge you an hourly rate for the time we spend on your case. Our fees are an agreed-upon percentage that comes out of the money we win for you. You could say that we are betting our paycheck on the strength of your case.
Whether your case gets resolved by settlement, mediation, trial, or arbitration, we will stand by you through every stage of the process. We will take on individuals, insurance companies, and large corporations to get you the justice you deserve.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
All that we do is help people who get hurt because of others’ careless or intentional acts. We are a full-service personal injury firm.
Here are some of the kinds of personal injury claims we handle:
- Personal injury – When you get hurt, and it was primarily someone else’s fault
- Wrongful death – We can go after compensation for the legal beneficiaries of a person who dies due to another individual’s negligence.
- Motor vehicle accidents – This includes car, truck, tractor-trailer, bus, motorcycle, Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare company accidents
- Workplace injuries – Can be from careless or intentional acts of a third-party, such as a contractor or delivery driver
- Medical malpractice – Can include things like surgical error, birth injuries, failure to diagnose, misdiagnosis, heart attack misdiagnosis, and foreign objects left in the body
- Bicycle accidents – These collisions often leave the bike rider severely or fatally injured.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – Can change the course of a person’s life
- Pedestrian accidents – Similar to bicycle crashes, pedestrians frequently suffer catastrophic injuries when a motor vehicle collides with them.
- Defective drugs – Cause injury or death to many Americans every year
- Defective medical devices – Can be things like a hip or knee replacement that failed or caused a medical problem
- Dangerous products – We can hold manufacturers responsible when they make unreasonably harmful products that hurt people when used as intended.
- Construction accidents – Can lead to many years of pain and disability
- Slip and fall accidents – Are a significant cause of fractures and head injuries, particularly in older adults
- Nursing home neglect and abuse – We can hold negligent individuals accountable for the harm they cause to vulnerable, older people.
- Premises liability – When a person gets hurt on someone else’s property because of a hazardous condition the owner did not correct
- Mass tort litigation – We represent plaintiffs in large cases, such as the talcum powder, 3M earplug, Valsartan, and Zantac lawsuits.
If your situation does not fall into one of these categories, do not worry. Just call us at (516) 358-6900 to find out if a Huntington personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, can help you.
Three Pitfalls to Avoid After an Accident
These things could take away your right to go after money damages or decrease the amount of compensation you could collect.
Waiting Too Long to File a Lawsuit
According to New York’s Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is three years. You have to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party before this deadline, or you could lose the right to hold the negligent party accountable for your losses.
Not Giving Timely Notification of the Injury
Some claims have a notification deadline of as little as 90 days, according to New York’s General Municipal (GMU) §50-E. If the notice does not comply with all legal requirements, it might not count as giving proper notice.
Not Working with a Lawyer
The law does not force you to work with an attorney on your personal injury claim, but you still may want to do so. A lawyer can advocate on your behalf so that you can get the rest you need for your health and wellness.
These are but a few examples of the many things that could go wrong in a personal injury claim.
How to Get Legal Help for Your Huntington Personal Injury Case
A Huntington personal injury lawyer at our firm is eager to help you rebuild your life and get the compensation that you deserve. If you got hurt or a close relative died mainly because of what someone else did or did not do, you owe it to yourself and your family to make the at-fault party pay for your losses.
You can call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 to get started.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Huntington, call 516-358-6900