Truck Accident Lawyers in Hollis, Long Island
Commercial trucks perform the important work of moving goods across the country and ensuring that they get to our store shelves and homes. Operating a tractor-trailer or other commercial truck requires experience and training, and most truck drivers drive their vehicles with the care and skill that such a large, complicated piece of equipment requires.
Unfortunately, a few truck drivers get careless or reckless behind the wheel, usually due to the pressures of meeting delivery schedules, fatigue, or the stresses of being on the road for long stretches of time. A negligent truck driver poses a serious risk of causing a catastrophic accident that can lead to significant property damage and life-altering or even life-threatening injuries for others on the road.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident in Hollis, NY, through no fault of your own, contact the truck accident attorneys of The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today for a no-obligation initial case evaluation. Learn about your legal rights and options and how our firm can help you secure maximum financial compensation for your injuries and damages. Call us today at (516) 358-6900.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Table of Contents
Some of the most common types of accidents involving large commercial trucks include:
- Head-on and rear-end collisions
- Jackknife accidents, which occur when trucks brake suddenly and cause trailers to swing out to a 90-degree angle, impacting other vehicles on the road or causing a rollover accident
- Blind spot accidents, which often arise due to the fact that trucks have large blind spots, and truck drivers may fail to have or use blind spot mirrors or blind spot monitoring devices
- Rollover accidents, which occur when a truck driver loses control of their rig, which then tips over, often spilling the truck’s cargo out onto the roadway
- Underride accidents, or accidents that involve a passenger vehicle colliding and getting stuck in the truck’s undercarriage
- Tire blowouts, which large commercial vehicles are significantly at risk of due to their large size and the amount of time they spend on the roads, which quickly put wear on tires
What to Do If Injured in a Truck Accident in Hollis, NY
After you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Hollis, you should remember to take the following actions and steps. Doing so can help protect your legal rights and your options for seeking maximum compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Call 911 if someone has been injured and report the accident to local law enforcement
- Exchange information with the driver, including the driver’s contact information, their employer’s contact information, and insurance information
- Contact your insurance company, even if you weren’t at fault
- Document the accident scene by taking photos or video of details of the accident and any visible injuries you may have suffered
- Seek medical attention, so that a physician may diagnose all the injuries you sustained in your accident
- Speak with a truck accident attorney to learn more about your rights and options and about the process of pursuing a truck accident claim
Settling a Trucking Accident Claim
As most truck accident claims are settled long before trial or even seeing the inside of a courtroom, you should familiarize yourself with the settlement process in truck accident claims.
The claims process begins with reporting your accident to the local police department, especially if the accident results in injury or you hit an unoccupied parked vehicle. If you get into an accident that only involves minor damage to the vehicles, you may simply choose to exchange insurance information with the other driver; if the damage totals more than $1,000, you must file a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
In addition to reporting your accident to the authorities, you likely are also required to report your accident to your insurance company, even if you weren’t at fault or intend to file a claim.
If you choose to file a claim for compensation against the other driver, you likely will first attempt to settle your case in lieu of the time and expense of going to trial. Although settlement negotiations are usually not required if you decide to go to court, most judges will strongly encourage settlement conferences.
Although a settlement of a truck accident claim results in a compensation amount agreed to by the parties, determining a fair settlement amount will require consideration of several factors, including:
- Each party’s share of fault
- The strength of the evidence of the defendant’s fault and the damages suffered by the plaintiff
- The policy limits of the available insurance coverage
- The cost of vehicle repairs or replacement
- Past and future medical expenses
- Time spent away from work
- Pain and suffering
An attorney can help you understand your rights and options in settlement proceeds and advise you as to the best path forward in your case.
How Much Can I Recover in a Settlement
After you’ve been injured in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to recover compensation for the injuries and damages you’ve sustained in the accident, such as:
- Past and future costs of treatment
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity, if you are unable to work due to your injuries
- Pain and suffering, or loss of quality and enjoyment of life
- Property damage, including costs to repair your vehicle or the cash value of your vehicle if it was totaled in the accident
Your attorney can help ensure that you are fully compensated for all your damages, including the ones you will incur after your case is settled or resolved.
Legal Help After a Truck Collision
When you’ve been involved in a truck accident through no fault of your own, having the assistance of an attorney can help you secure the maximum compensation you are entitled to for your injuries and damages. Some of the ways that a legal team can assist with pursuing your truck accident case include:
- Determining who bears fault for the accident: The trucking industry involves multiple parties and companies, each of whom may bear some or all the responsibility for your truck accident. An attorney can thoroughly investigate your crash to uncover the evidence that shows which parties may have legal fault for your injuries, including trucking companies, freight contractors, truck manufacturers, or government entities. A truck accident lawyer will identify every liable party to ensure you receive maximum compensation in your case.
- Building an effective legal strategy: Although many people may believe that having a claim for compensation means filing suit in court, your attorney can help you devise a legal strategy that may turn out more effective depending on your circumstances. The majority of truck accident cases are settled out of court through informal negotiation, mediation, or arbitration. If you have never pursued a civil claim before, knowing what path to take can seem confusing. An attorney can help you understand your options and choose the best path forward for you.
- Fighting for your interests if you share partial fault for your accident: The evidence might show that you were partially to blame for the accident. Even if this is the case, you may still be entitled to file suit to seek compensation under New York’s comparative negligence rules, which only reduce an injured plaintiff’s compensation in proportion to their share of fault. Your attorney can vigorously advocate to reduce your share of fault for the accident and maximize your financial recovery.
Contact Our Experienced Truck Accident Attorneys in Hollis, NY
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Hollis, you need the experienced legal representation of the truck accident attorneys of Cohen & Jaffe. Our firm’s attorneys have over a century of combined experience fighting for the rights and interests of injured accident victims. We take pride in our track record of success in securing millions of dollars in financial compensation through negotiated settlements and verdicts.
As a trained EMT, partner attorney Richard Jaffe understands how serious and traumatic injuries can have an outsized impact on your life. Our firm can help you resolve the day-to-day issues you may face in recovering from your accident, including finding health care providers to treat your injuries, fixing damage to your vehicle or having your vehicle replaced if it was totaled, and dealing with persistent insurance adjusters who don’t have your best interests as their goal.
When you choose Cohen & Jaffe to help you with your Hollis truck accident case, you can expect the dedicated, compassionate focus, and attention to detail that you deserve from our firm. Unlike other firms where you communicate through a paralegal or secretary, at Cohen & Jaffe, you work directly with our law partners Stephen Cohen and Richard Jaffe.
We work diligently to make ourselves available to you – we return all phone calls or emails within 24 hours, and all clients will receive attorney Richard Jaffe’s cellphone number for 24/7 accessibility. And if you cannot come to our office, our attorneys will make arrangements to come to you at your home or your hospital bed.
Don’t wait another day to start the process of seeking the financial recovery you need and deserve. Contact the Hollis, NY truck accident lawyers at Cohen & Jaffe today for a free, no-obligation consultation. Use our contact form on our website or call us at (516) 358-6900. Let us help you understand your legal rights and options after you have been injured through no fault of your own.