Hollis Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Many people in Hollis and throughout Long Island ride motorcycles for transportation and for recreation. Although most motorcyclists take safety precautions while on the road, even the most cautious rider is vulnerable to another driver’s careless actions. When motorcycle riders get into accidents, they face the risk of catastrophic injuries. Riders lack the protection of a passenger compartment or safety features such as seat belts or airbags.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Hollis or elsewhere in Long Island through no fault of your own, you deserve to seek compensation from the drivers or parties responsible for your accident and injuries. If you’ve been in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as past and future medical expenses, ongoing personal care, lost wages, reduced quality of life, and pain and suffering.
Pursuing compensation in a motorcycle accident can be a complicated process, especially if you are trying to deal with insurance companies while recovering from serious injuries. Riders can find it difficult to overcome biases and stigmas against motorcyclists, even when the other driver’s negligence caused the accident. You don’t have to fight the insurance companies and defense lawyers alone. Let the Hollis motorcycle accident attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, stand up for you and seek justice on your behalf.
Contact our firm today to speak with one of our experienced attorneys about the motorcycle accident claims process. We offer a free case evaluation. Learn more about how our firm can give you the best chance of maximizing the compensation from your motorcycle accident claim. Call (516) 358-6900 today.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Table of Contents
Motorcycle accidents in Hollis have many different causes. Unfortunately, many multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents result from the carelessness or recklessness of other drivers. Some of the common causes of motorcycle accidents that our attorneys have handled include:
- Unsafe lane changes – drivers may fail to signal a lane change or fail to check side mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles when shifting lanes
- Speeding – driving at unsafe speeds makes it less likely for a driver to make an emergency maneuver or stop in time to avoid an accident with a motorcycle
- Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol – alcohol and drugs impair decision-making and reaction times, greatly increasing the chances of an accident
- Tailgating – because motorcycles can stop much more quickly than other vehicles, a driver tailgating a motorcycle creates a serious risk of a rear-end collision
- Lane splitting – motorcycles are entitled to the full width of a lane; drivers who fail to move completely over to the adjacent lane when passing a motorcycle run the risk of a collision
- Reckless driving – drivers who drive at unsafe speeds or weave in and out of traffic pose a substantial risk of an accident
- Failure to yield on turns – drivers waiting to make a left turn at an intersection may fail to yield to oncoming motorcycles and cause a collision
- Distracted driving – motorists can be distracted by cell phones, radios/infotainment systems, or other occupants of their vehicle, causing them to take their focus and attention off the road; even a few seconds of distracted driving can cause a serious accident
- Inexperienced drivers – young drivers may not know to look out for smaller motorcycles or know how to safely drive alongside motorcycle riders.
In addition to motorcycle accidents caused by driver negligence, other causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Rider inexperience – motorcycle riders should stick with bikes within their experience and skill level
- Road conditions – Potholes, debris, and black ice can cause a rider to lose control of his or her motorcycle
- Weather conditions – Heavy rain or snow or fog can obscure hazards on the road and make a motorcycle less visible to other motorists
- Lighting conditions – Nighttime driving means that objects on the road, including motorcycles, are less visible
- Motorcycle defects – A defectively designed or manufactured motorcycle component can fail and cause a rider to crash
If another driver may have been responsible for your Hollis motorcycle accident, contact the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, today. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages from those who caused your accident.
Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders are completely exposed in the event of an accident. As a result, when a rider gets into an accident, particularly with another vehicle, the motorcyclist tends to sustain serious and, in some cases, potentially life-threatening injuries. Some of the common injuries that riders sustain in motorcycle accidents include:
- Road rash – Riders often suffer cuts and abrasions when they are thrown off their motorcycles and skid across the pavement. Serious cases of road rash can require treatment such as skin grafts.
- Burns – A rider can be burned in a motorcycle accident when the rider’s body parts contact the hot engine of a motorcycle, or when a fire results from the accident
- Lacerations – deep lacerations can lead to profuse bleeding; when lacerations heal they can also leave severe, permanent scarring
- Broken bones – bone fractures commonly occur in the upper extremities when a rider is thrown from the motorcycle and tries to break the fall; fractures in the lower extremities can occur in an impact with another vehicle, or if the motorcycle topples over onto a rider in an accident
- Soft tissue injuries – these injuries can include strains and tears of tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Amputations – A rider may have to undergo a surgical amputation of a limb if the extremity is too severely damaged; the force of an accident can also cause a violent amputation
- Organ damage and internal bleeding – Internal injuries can be caused by the force of an accident, or when a rider’s body is perforated by a sharp object during the accident
- Neck and back injuries – commonly known as whiplash injuries, these can include herniations and ruptures of spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries – A fractured vertebrae or damage to spinal cord tissue can lead to weakness and numbness or to temporary or permanent paralysis
- Head injuries – Riders who are not wearing face masks are more vulnerable to jaw and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injury – TBIs can range from mild concussions to persistent coma
Injuries from a motorcycle accident can take months and tens of thousands of dollars to treat and can even still leave you with lifelong debilitating effects. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, let our Hollis motorcycle accident lawyers fight on your behalf to get you the monetary compensation you deserve.
How a Hollis Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
When you’ve been in a Hollis, NY motorcycle accident, the attorneys of the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, can help you assert your legal rights and hold accountable the driver who caused the crash. With over a century of collective experience, the legal team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe has a proud track record of securing millions of dollars in compensation for clients through settlements and verdicts at trial.
When you hire Cohen & Jaffe to represent you in your motorcycle accident case, you can be assured that, unlike other firms who communicate with you solely through a paralegal or secretary, you will work directly with law partners Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen. We return all calls and emails within 24 hours. Clients also receive attorney Richard Jaffe’s cell phone number for 24/7 accessibility if you have questions about your case.
As a trained EMT, attorney Richard Jaffe understands the pain and suffering caused by traumatic injuries in a motorcycle accident. We know the worry that our clients experience after an accident as they face accumulating medical bills and try to move forward with their lives.
We work to help resolve those worries for our clients. We handle the day-to-day issues such as communications with the insurance adjusters and getting your motorcycle fixed so that you can remain focused on your physical and emotional recovery. We do whatever it takes to be available to you – if you cannot make it to our office because you are recovering at home or at the hospital, we can make arrangements to come and speak with you wherever you are.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in Hollis through no fault of your own, don’t wait another day to start the process of pursuing the financial compensation you need to rebuild your life. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, at (516) 358-6900 or contact us through our website to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our Hollis, NY motorcycle accident attorneys. We’re ready to discuss the details of your case so that you can learn more about your legal rights, options, and how our firm can help you in your motorcycle accident case.