Truck Accident Lawyers in Hempstead, NY
Driving in Hempstead, NY, means sharing the road with tractor-trailers and other large commercial trucks. Because of the size and weight of large trucks, truck collisions are among the most devastating types of crashes that occur on Hempstead’s roadways.
If you were injured in a truck accident, it’s essential to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible to understand your legal rights. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Hempstead truck accident lawyers are committed to helping injured people put their lives back together after a serious accident.
Our law firm is known for:
- Providing personalized legal services
- 24/7 availability to address your questions and concerns
- Securing millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements
- Having more than a century of combined experience
- Charging no legal fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
Our legal team is ready to review your claim. To schedule a free consultation with a Hempstead truck accident attorney, give us a call at (516) 358-6900.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Table of Contents
Truck accidents have many potential causes including speeding, driver distraction, fatigued driving, imbalanced loads, defective parts, and more. Among the cases our truck accident lawyers handle, these are the most common causes:
- Speeding: Big rigs can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. Because of this, they require a much longer distance to come to a stop. This is why truck drivers should always drive at safe speeds and maintain enough space between their trucks and other vehicles on the road. If a truck driver is going too fast, the driver has less time to react to a hazardous situation and avoid a collision. The result of speeding is often a serious truck accident, causing injuries to people in other vehicles hit by a large truck.
- Driver Fatigue: Truck drivers are often under pressure to meet delivery deadlines. Although there are regulations that limit how long truck drivers can be behind the wheel without rest, many drivers disregard hours of service limits to meet deadlines, especially when pressured or incentivized by their employer. Fatigue can cause truck drivers to have impaired judgment and fall asleep at the wheel.
- Distracted Driving: A truck driver who is distracted by looking at a screen, talking on a radio, using a cell phone, eating, or looking out the window may cause a distracted driving truck accident.
- Blind Spot Accidents: Large trucks have blind spots on all sides of a truck in which other vehicles cannot be seen by truck drivers. Truckers may lose track of vehicles that are located in their blind spots and cause a collision by trying to move into the occupied lane. Blindspot accidents are a major cause of injury when it comes to truck collisions.
- Improper Cargo Load: There are regulations that limit how much a fully loaded cargo truck can weigh. Improperly loaded cargo may cause trucks to fishtail or jackknife when braking hard. If cargo is not properly secured, it can shift and cause a truck driver to lose control or spill onto the road and cause a serious accident.
- Driving While Under the Influence: A truck driver may lose his commercial driver’s license if convicted of driving while impaired. The incidence of drunk driving is lower among commercial drivers than among drivers in general. But a truck driver may be impaired by taking over-the-counter medicine and cause a serious crash.
- Defective Parts or Improper Maintenance: Sometimes, truck accidents are not the fault of any driver involved in the crash. Instead, defective parts may cause the crash. Faulty brakes, tire blowouts, and other mechanical problems can have disastrous consequences while on the road.
Should I Reach a Settlement With a Trucking Company?
Pursuing compensation on your own after a truck accident is an uphill battle. The insurance company’s interest is to offer you the lowest amount possible to protect the company’s bottom line. You may not receive what you were expecting.
This is why it’s essential to hire an experienced Hempstead trucking accident lawyer to fight on your behalf. An attorney at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe can negotiate with the insurance company for full compensation for your medical bills and related losses. If a settlement cannot be reached, our attorneys will be prepared to file a lawsuit and take more aggressive legal action to hold the trucking company accountable for your injuries.
In New York, truck accident victims may recover compensation for:
- Medical costs
- Future expected medical care related to your injuries
- Hospital and ambulance fees
- Lost wages, if you had to miss work due to your injuries
- Future lost income if you can no longer work
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Vehicle repair costs
- Rental vehicle costs while your car is being repaired
Our attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe will fight for full compensation to cover your expenses, losses, and pain and suffering.
What Can I Do if I’m an Injured Truck Driver?
If you’re a truck driver who was injured in a collision, and you believe another driver is to blame, you should speak to a Hempstead truck accident attorney.
Drivers of passenger vehicles aren’t the only victims in truck accidents. In some cases, the truck driver may suffer injuries due to the negligence of another driver.
Our truck accident injury attorneys can launch an independent investigation to determine the cause of the crash. In some cases, we find that the accident was caused by a defective component on the truck such as faulty brakes.
You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, depending on the type of employment agreement you have with the trucking company. Workers’ compensation can pay for medical costs, a portion of your lost wages, and disability benefits. The New York truck accident lawyers of Cohen & Jaffe are available to discuss your potential compensation options and legal rights.
How Can a Hempstead Truck Attorney Help Me?
If you were injured in a truck accident, your best course of action is to contact an experienced attorney after seeking medical care. Truck accident claims can be complex, especially when determining liability. Truck accidents also involve significant injuries. For that reason, commercial truck drivers and trucking companies in New York are required to carry higher amounts of liability insurance than drivers of passenger vehicles.
Our Hempstead truck accident lawyers can:
- Launch a Full Investigation: When your future depends on the settlement you receive, you shouldn’t rely on the insurance company’s investigation of the facts. An experienced truck accident attorney can launch an independent investigation to determine the actual cause of the accident and identify those who have liability. This is the key to maximizing the potential compensation you can seek.
- Demand the Highest Compensation Possible: As a trained EMT, our lead attorney Richard Jaffe has seen the aftermath of many truck accidents. This has given us insight into the far-reaching effects of tractor-trailer accidents. We understand that you may have life-changing injuries after a serious Hempstead semi-truck accident. We want to secure the financial support you need to move forward with your life. Our attorneys will demand every penny available by law, and we will be ready to take the case to trial if a fair truck accident settlement can’t be reached.
- Navigate Complex Laws: Did you know that there are federal regulations that may affect your truck accident claim? Our experienced legal team can build the strongest case possible, taking into account the complex federal and state laws that apply to the trucking industry.
- Protect Your Rights: New York is known as a “contributory negligence” state. This means that both parties can be found partly responsible for a truck crash. If you are found to be partially responsible, you may still be entitled to seek compensation. However, your compensation will be reduced according to your percentage of fault. Our attorneys will protect your rights against insurance companies that try to shift the blame.
Who Can Be Responsible in a Truck Driving Accident?
There can be multiple possible defendants in a truck accident claim. This is one of the areas where truck accident cases differ from typical car crash claims.
When determining fault in a truck driving accident, the following should be considered:
- Did the truck driver have the necessary training, skills, and experience to operate a big rig safely?
- Was the truck driver fatigued from too many hours behind the wheel or was the driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
- Was the truck driver texting or distracted by a mobile device at the time of the crash?
- Did the trucking company pressure the truck driver to work longer than regulations allow?
- Was the truck’s cargo properly loaded and secured?
- Was the truck driver speeding?
- Was the truck accident caused by a mechanical problem, such as faulty brakes or a tire blowout?
- Did the driver of another vehicle cause the crash?
The potentially liable parties in a truck accident may include:
- The truck driver
- Other drivers of passenger vehicles
- The trucking company
- Manufacturer of truck parts, such as brakes or tires
- Third-party truck maintenance companies
We will investigate your accident to determine the parties that should be held responsible for your accident.
Where to Report a Truck Accident in Hempstead?
If you were injured in a truck accident in the Hempstead, NY area, you should call 911 if medical services are needed, or otherwise report it to local law enforcement:
Village of Hempstead Police Department
99 James A. Garner Way
Hempstead, NY 11550
After making a police report and seeking medical treatment, it’s critical to contact a Hempstead truck accident lawyer. There are strict laws that determine how long you have to file a trucking accident lawsuit.
The sooner you contact an attorney, the sooner you can file a claim and potentially recover compensation.
When you hire the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, you’ll be hiring a legal team that has more than a century of collective legal experience. You’ll work directly with partners Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen.
For a free case evaluation and consultation, contact our firm today at (516) 358-6900. Our New York truck accident lawyers are ready to evaluate your claim and discuss your legal options.