Knowing what to do in the aftermath of an auto accident can be a confusing and frustrating experience, especially if you are seriously injured due to another road user’s negligence. If you are considering legal representation, you may have many questions about how to find a good car accident lawyer.
You may want to start by:
- Researching law firms in your area online
- Asking friends and family members for recommendations
- Writing down what services you would like your potential lawyer to handle
- Engaging in free consultations offered by personal injury law firms
- Inquiring about payment options, such as contingency-fee payment structures
- Researching whether a lawyer has the credentials and experience that you are seeking
Your options following a car accident will rest on the details of your situation. New York is a no-fault state. Following a collision, you may choose to file a claim with your own insurance company. However, if you are still left with various expenses, you may choose to file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Yet, if this does not work, then you can file a lawsuit.
Car accidents can be expensive, frightening, and stressful. A personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation for medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, reduced earning capacity, emotional trauma, and other related losses.
Read Professional Accolades, Online Reviews, and Client Testimonials
To find a good car accident lawyer, you should conduct research about law firms in your area. While you are not required to work with a lawyer, in many circumstances, they can be an invaluable ally.
You may find value in working with a New York car accident lawyer if:
- You are unsure about whether your injuries qualify for compensation.
- You were injured by a road user who denies accountability.
- Your case involves multiple parties.
- You are unsure about your legal options.
- You have received (but have not agreed to) a low settlement offer.
- You are uncertain about the value of your damages.
- You have concerns about negotiating a fair settlement with the insurer.
- You are worried about paying for your medical expenses.
- You need help managing the day-to-day legal issues arising from an auto collision, such as dealing with insurance companies or gathering evidence.
This list is not exhaustive. It is worth discussing your situation with a personal injury law firm in a free case evaluation to determine your legal options.
When you begin your research, online rating systems, such as Google Reviews, can be an excellent place to start. Other sources of information about a lawyer’s credibility can come from recommendations from family members, friends, and client testimonials. You may also review the practice areas posted on a law firm’s website.
Narrow Down Your Options by Asking Questions
Through your research, you may be able to narrow down your options and make general inquiries. When it comes to finding a good car accident lawyer, do not be worried about asking questions. This is your opportunity to learn if a lawyer and their firm meet your needs and expectations.
Areas of inquiry could include:
- The legal process involved in a compensation claim
- What pieces of evidence are required and how they are collected
- Previous experience in litigating similar cases
- If there are any laws that may affect your case
- The ease of communication and transparency
- How New York’s statute of limitations affects your case
- How the lawyer and their law firm accept payment
Many New York law firms offer a free case review where you can find out more about your legal options and ask questions about their services.
How Your Chosen Legal Representative Helps Your Case
Being hit by a negligent motorist can be a harrowing experience and leave you with significant injuries and other financial losses. Initiating legal action, while worrying about your medical bills, can add another layer of frustration onto an already challenging situation.
A personal injury lawyer can help you build a case by providing an investigation into the cause of your accident. They can also help you gather and organize the evidence necessary to support your case.
Other ways they can help you include:
- Identifying who is responsible for your accident
- Evaluating the financial impact of your injuries and other related losses
- Reviewing settlement offers
- Negotiating with the insurance companies
- Representing you in court
It is important to act sooner rather than later when it comes to filing your lawsuit in accordance with New York’s statute of limitations. Generally, per Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214(4), an injured party has three years from the accident date to begin legal proceedings. In the event of wrongful death, the bereaved family must pursue compensation within two years, per Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1.
Call for a Free Review of Your Situation Today
The personal injury lawyers at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, work hard to protect your rights and recover the funds you need and deserve. We provide our services on a contingency-fee basis and offer a free case evaluation where you can find out more about our services.
Call (516) 358-6900 to get in touch with our team today.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900