Pregnancy Discrimination in the Workplace
Pregnancy discrimination is prohibited under the U.S. Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 and the New York Human Rights Law. Employment discrimination on the basis of sex or gender discrimination also includes pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions is illegal.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we take seriously the guarantees to workers under state and federal employment law. Our firm is prepared to stand up to your employer or anyone who has violated your rights, and aggressively pursue every action available to obtain the best possible outcome for you.
What is Pregnancy Discrimination?
Table of Contents
When an employer treats a pregnant worker unfavorably because of her pregnancy or related medical conditions, pregnancy discrimination has occurred. The following are some examples of discrimination on the basis of pregnancy:
- An employer refuses to hire a pregnant applicant who is able to perform the functions of the job.
- A pregnant worker is fired, demoted or denied a promotion.
- A pregnant worker’s hours or assignments are decreased by her employer.
- Inappropriate conduct on the part of an employer, including unwanted comments about the pregnancy.
- Severe discipline by an employer in response to requests for pregnancy-related medical appointment leave.
What can be Gained in a Pregnancy Discrimination Claim?
If you believe that you have been the victim of pregnancy discrimination in New York, get in touch with our firm for a free case evaluation so we can advise you of your legal options.
If your claim is valid under the law, we can file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New York Division of Human Rights. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to sue your employer for damages.
Possible outcomes of a pregnancy discrimination claim depend on the nature of the discrimination and other factors. Examples of potential remedies include:
- An employer that previously refused to hire you may be required to hire you.
- If you were passed over for a promotion because of your pregnancy, you may receive the promotion.
- If you were fired, your employer may rehire you.
- You may receive compensation in the form of money damages and back pay.
Legal Help for Victims of Pregnancy Discrimination in New York
Our firm is ready to fight any type of employment discrimination, including pregnancy discrimination. If you have been treated unfairly because of a pregnancy, that is a violation of state and federal law. Our experienced discrimination lawyers are here to help you seek justice.
Victims of unlawful employment discrimination may have legal recourse through EEOC or the New York State Department of Labor. However, the process can move slowly with those agencies. With our dedicated legal team, you have experience in your corner to help you seek redress for the wrongful treatment you have suffered.
You have rights. Our goal is to see that they are protected. Contact our firm now. We are available 24/7. When it comes to righting a wrong, we can help you, including recovering compensation for pregnancy discrimination.
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978
- U.S. Department of Labor: Employment Protections for Workers Who Are Pregnant or Nursing