We are taking the threat of COVID-19 very seriously. Click here to find out what our firm is doing.
Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists

Uninsured Underinsured Motorists

In many New York car accidents, the negligent driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the victim’s losses, or carries no auto insurance at all. The Insurance Information Institute reports that about 13 percent of the nation’s drivers are uninsured.

Sometimes a negligent driver will leave the scene before the victim has a chance to ask for insurance information. In either case, the victim is left with serious injuries and property damage – and no one to hold accountable. However, this does not mean that victims have no recourse in the matter.

If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can seek compensation for your losses from your own insurance company. However, these types of cases can be difficult. Although you pay hundreds of dollars in insurance premiums every year, your insurance company may try to find a way to deny your claim or pay you less than you deserve. Don’t let them get away with it.

Before you do anything else, call an experienced Long Island personal injury lawyer. This may be the best first call you could make.

Talk to one of our attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP about your UM/UIM coverage case. Contact us today for a free consultation.

About UM/UIM Claims in Long Island Car Accidents

According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the minimum liability insurance requirements are:

  • $10,000 property damage for a single accident.
  • $25,000 bodily injury and $50,000 death for one person injured or killed in an accident.
  • $50,000 bodily injury and $100,000 death for two or more people injured or killed in an accident.

If you are seriously injured in an accident that was caused by another driver, you may be entitled to file a claim to recover compensation for your damages. Unfortunately, in many cases, the other driver’s policy limits may not be sufficient to cover your damages.

If this occurs, you may file a claim under the underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) of your own policy.

In cases where the other driver has no insurance coverage at all or in hit-and-run accidents, you may file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage (UM).

New York drivers are required by law to purchase UM coverage. The required coverage limits are $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. For your own protection, it may be advisable to carry more than the minimum coverage required by law.

Dedicated Car Accident Lawyers on your Side

If your insurance company refuses to pay on a legitimate claim, you have the right to take legal action to enforce the terms of your policy. We understand how intimidating it can be to file a lawsuit against your own insurance company. Not taking action is exactly what the insurance company is hoping you will do.

Many people fear that their policies will be canceled if they sue to protect their rights. State and federal laws provide specific protections against this type of behavior. We can help you take the necessary steps to collect the money you need to recover from your injuries. We will be there with you every step of the way and see your case through to its conclusion.

At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we address urgent issues, such as medical treatment, car repairs and dealing with insurance adjusters. Meanwhile, we act swiftly and diligently to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries and losses.

Personal injury handled personally. Contact us today for a free consultation with proven injury attorneys. We help injured car accident victims with UM/UIM claims on Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County and Queens.


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Trusted & Respected