Winners of the 2016 Cohen & Jaffe College Essay Contest
Five students have been selected to receive a total of $2,250 in college scholarship money for writing winning essays in an online competition sponsored by Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, a Long Island personal injury law firm that represents individuals in personal injury and employment law disputes throughout the New York metro area.
“Our firm appreciates the value of higher education and we are committed to helping young people achieve their career goals as they set out on their chosen paths,” said Richard S. Jaffe, an attorney and one of the firm’s named partners. “We were impressed with the achievements of this year’s applicants, as well as their ambitious plans for the future.”
The winners of the 2016 College Scholarship Program include:
- Adrianna Quig, First Place: Quig, a student from Brewerton, N.Y., won a $1,000 scholarship for her essay about how she has overcome obstacles in her life. According to her essay, Quig was born with four congenital heart defects that have required multiple open-heart surgeries. Her essay described how she has used determination, self-confidence and understanding to achieve success.
- Lauren Kreinces, Runner Up: Kreinces, a student from Dix Hills, N.Y., won a $500 scholarship for her essay that detailed her volunteer work in the community, including efforts on behalf of the Ronald McDonald House, Helping Hands and SADD. She traced her passion for community service to the example set by her parents.
- Mariel Nario, Honorable Mention: Nario, a student from Oxnard, Calif., won a $250 scholarship for an essay entitled “Reaching My Full Potential.”
- Gilberto Pena, Honorable Mention: Pena, a student from Lynwood, Calif., won a $250 scholarship for an essay on his efforts on behalf of disabled children.
- Mollie Weinstein, Honorable Mention: Weinstein, a student from Florida, won a $250 scholarship for an essay about overcoming obstacles from a sports injury.
“Each participant wrote insightful essays that showcased the intellectual depth, resilience and compassion they possess. Their strength of character is truly inspiring, and our law firm was honored to help these talented students as they prepare themselves for fulfilling careers,” Richard Jaffe said.
Applicants were required to write a one-page essay totaling 500 to 750 words on one of the following topics:
- The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is committed to helping our clients overcome the obstacles they face as a result of being involved in an accident. What qualities and values do you possess, and how have those qualities and values helped you overcome certain obstacles in your life?
- Large trucks and eighteen wheelers are continuing to cause significant motor vehicle accidents, injuries and death in New York and the United States. Please analyze the severity of the issue, facts and statistics, case studies, research on the issue, laws that have been enacted or proposed in the US or New York to deal with the issue, and/or possible solutions/safety advice/tips for the public to deal with the issue.
- When did you become passionate about volunteering in your community and what have you done throughout your academic career to further the cause(s) for which you have given your time?
The top essays were selected by a panel of judges, and the winners were chosen based on online voting. This year marked the second time the firm has conducted the scholarship competition.
About The Law Offices of Cohen & Jaffe LLP
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe LLP takes pride in providing personalized, compassionate, aggressive and effective legal services to personal injury victims on Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County and Queens. The firm handles a wide range of employment law, personal injury and wrongful death cases, including car accidents, workplace injuries, medical malpractice and premises liability. The firm’s office is located on Long Island at 2001 Marcus Avenue, W295, Lake Success, NY 11042. For more information, contact Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP at 516-358-6900 or fill out an online contact form.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900