If you experienced a car accident in New Hyde Park that resulted in injuries, you might be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party.
A New Hyde Park car accident attorney from our firm will review your case and inform you of your options for moving forward with a claim or lawsuit. We will take every step toward getting you the compensation you need to cover medical bills, lost income, and other losses. Meanwhile, you can focus your efforts on recovering physically from your collision.
You Have Nothing to Lose By Calling for a Case Evaluation
Many people think they cannot afford to hire legal representation. Actually, the opposite is closer to the truth. The medical bills from an auto accident add up quickly – some medical treatments and medication could go on for years. Possibly, your injuries have caused you to miss time at work, which further diminishes your financial well-being.
By doing nothing, you commit to taking on these losses yourself. By calling our law firm, you invite the possibility that someone else – the person responsible for your accident – will cover your losses.
You have nothing to lose by calling for a case review – it’s a free consultation. If you hire us, you pay us only when and if we win you a settlement or verdict.
Our Track Record for Getting Results Brings You Peace of Mind
With all the unknowns that follow a car crash, it will reassure you to know more about our history representing other people who have been in your shoes. Take a moment to consider some of the wins we have achieved for previous car accident victims:
- $1 million: Rear-end collision leading to severe headaches, as well as knee and back injuries
- $1.2 million: Two-car crash causing a child passenger’s fractured skull
- $1.3 million: T-bone hit by an unmarked police car caused a woman’s neck and back injuries, as well as a fractured nose
- $1.5 million: Rear-end collision injured a young man, requiring a lumbar fusion
How Much Compensation Can You Expect for Your New Hyde Park Car Accident?
The compensation you receive for injuries in an auto accident depends on the severity of your injuries. This is another area where we excel. Our partner, Richard Jaffe, is a trained emergency medical technician (EMT). He uses his medical knowledge to fully explore your injuries and how they affect you.
Common Auto Accident Injuries
Jaffe knows that car accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries, including:
- Broken/fractured bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Soft tissue damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Types of Recoverable Damages From a Car Crash
Each type of injury requires unique forms of medical treatment, each with its unique costs and timetable for recovery. Some injuries affect a car accident victim’s ability to return to work, causing further economic loss. Our lawyers factor every type of injury-related loss into the damages we demand on your behalf.
From our experience, the following types of damages often result from car accident cases:
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of limb(s)
- Physical therapy
- Replacement or repair of your motor vehicle
If your loved one died from the injuries they sustained in a motor vehicle accident, you have the right to pursue a wrongful death action. Types of damages our lawyers might strive to recover from a wrongful death action could include:
- Costs of burial or cremation
- Funeral costs
- Loss of income
- Medical bills incurred prior to your loved one’s passing
- Loss of consortium and companionship
Statutes of Limitations for Filing a Lawsuit After a Car Crash
New York’s wrongful death statute of limitations (EPT § 5-4.1) imposes a time limit for pursuing this type of action. You generally have two years from the date of your loved one’s car accident to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
For personal injury, the state’s statute of limitations is three years, as per CVP § 214. This means you have three years from the date of your collision in which to file a lawsuit to recover damages for your injuries.
The earlier you hire us to start working on your case, the more time we have to build your case, negotiate with insurers, and file a lawsuit if we do not agree on a settlement.
Our Lawyers Establish Liability in New Hyde Park Car Accidents
To recover damages after a car crash, our lawyers must do more than prove that another party caused the collision. Law requires that we prove four elements in your case:
- Duty of care: The other party had a duty to drive and act in a way that would keep other motorists free from harm.
- Breach of duty: This party failed to uphold their legal duty of care through some form of negligence – whether by driving while intoxicated, driving while distracted, driving while fatigued, failing to maintain their vehicle, or some other form of negligence.
- Causation: The car accident happened because of this party’s negligence, and it caused you to suffer injuries.
- Damages: You suffered losses, which could be remedied via compensation.
We Will Investigate Your Accident to Build Your Case
When the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) grade crossing at New Hyde Park Road was eliminated, the area saw an “upsurge” in car accidents, according to Garden City News. It is just one example of the many possible catalysts for collisions.
Other common causes for these crashes include:
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Running red lights/stop signs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Improper turns
- Design defects
Our attorneys will investigate the cause of your collision by:
- Visiting the accident scene
- Getting the police accident report from the New Hyde Park Auxiliary Police or Nassau County 3rd Precinct
- Interviewing witnesses
- Working with accident reconstruction specialists
- Analyzing traffic/ surveillance camera footage
Our legal team will research your damages by:
- Gathering your medical records
- Obtaining wage statements from your employer
- Collaborating with experts in medicine, economics, occupational therapy, and psychology
Connect with our Lawyers for Help Recovering Damages After a New Hyde Park Car Accident
It is important that you take certain steps after your collision if you want to recover damages. First, you must seek medical attention, even if you do not see obvious signs of injury. Second, do not agree to or sign anything from the insurance company without legal counsel. Third, call our law firm so we can guide you through the next steps.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 for your free case evaluation with one of our experienced attorneys.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving New Hyde Park, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.
Office InformationAddress Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
2001 Marcus Ave W295 New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA