Nobody gets into a taxi cab and expects to get into an accident. Alternatively, no one expects to get hit by a taxi while driving their own vehicle. You have options in either of these situations. If you were injured in a taxi cab accident, our lawyers in Long Island can build your case.
Our Long Island taxi cab accident lawyer’s goal is to seek compensation for your losses – and that’s exactly what we’ve done for countless other clients. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP has over a century of combined legal experience. Our firm is ready to use its resources and insight to advocate for you.
Three Important Things to Know About the Claims Process
While you weigh your legal options, here are three things we want to share:
Time is Limited to File Your Lawsuit
Days can turn into weeks, and weeks can turn into years following a serious injury. If you suffered harm in a taxi cab accident, you have three years to file your lawsuit, per CVP § 214. If you lost a loved one, you could have two years to file your case, according to EPT 5-4.1.
While we can file your case within the appropriate deadline, we can’t extend the deadline itself. By prompting connecting with our firm, you can protect the viability of your taxi cab accident case.
The Insurer is not on Your Side
As the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS) reminds us, all taxis on Long Island must have liability insurance. The taxi’s insurer won’t necessarily pay out your claim immediately after learning about your collision, though. They might:
- Stall your claim
- Keep asking you for random information
- Pass your claim around from person to person
- Devalue your losses
- Pressure you into resolving your case
- Refuse to answer your calls or emails
You don’t want to deal with an uncooperative insurance company while suffering from serious injuries. Our Long Island law firm can do that for you.
Seeking Medical Attention is the First Step in Building Your Case
To recover damages, you must prove that you were injured due to the taxi cab accident on Long Island. Our lawyers can compile your medical records, imaging scan results, and doctors’ testimony to build your case. Yet, if you did not seek medical care following your accident, it could get complicated.
Get medical attention for your condition if you have not already done so. Also, keep all information regarding your treatment plan and overall condition. This information could help us help you.
We Can Seek These Damages on Your Behalf
Using evidence, your lawyer could seek compensation for these losses:
Your Financial Losses
Your financial losses (also called economic damages) relate to your out-of-pocket expenses due to the accident. These losses could include:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Property damage expenses
- Mental health counseling
- Physical therapy
- Transportation costs
- Childcare expenses
Your Non-Financial Losses
Your non-financial losses (also called non-economic damages) relate to your physical and emotional hardships. Being injured can reduce your quality of life, compromise your relationships, and hurt your career. Non-economic damages assign monetary values to these factors.
Compensable non-economic damages could include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Impaired quality of life
We will pursue every dime you are owed.
Do You Have to Work with a Long Island Lawyer on Your Case?
The law allows injured claimants to represent themselves. However, doing so would make you solely responsible for the legal process. This means that you would be responsible for:
- Managing your case’s paperwork
- Gathering evidence to support your case
- Going up against a million-dollar company
- Determining what caused your accident
- Establishing fault and liability
- Calculating your past, present, and future losses
- Negotiating a settlement
- Communicating with insurers
…and the list goes on. You deserve time to heal from your condition – not stress about the legal process. Our award-winning lawyers can take over these obligations while you spend time with your loved ones.
We Finance Your Case and All it Entails
Our lawyers work on contingency. What does that mean, though? Basically:
- We pay for your case’s filing and other obligations.
- We take a percentage of your settlement as payment.
- You don’t pay anything for your first case review.
- You only pay our fees if we resolve your taxi cab accident case.
- We don’t charge retainers or hourly rates.
We don’t care about the money in your checking account; we care about your physical and emotional well-being. Put your checkbook away. If we don’t win your case, you don’t owe us anything.
Steps to Take After Your Taxi Cab Accident on Long Island
Here are some considerations after getting hurt in a collision:
Document Your Losses
We want to account for every single loss in your case. By keeping these records, we can assign an accurate value to your damages:
- Billing statements
- Receipts (including those in your email)
- Car repair estimates
- Medical bills
- Electronic payment requests
Follow Your Treatment Plan
Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management notes that more than 40 percent of patients who don’t follow their treatment plans see their conditions get worse. If you want to adjust your treatment plan, tell your doctor – don’t just stop treatment. This could give the other party power to deny your injuries’ severity.
Run Potential Settlement Offers Past Your Lawyer
Even if you have us working on your case, the insurer might still contact you directly and offer you a settlement. They do this hoping that you don’t know the true value of your case. Instead of hastily accepting money, tell the insurer to call your lawyer. From there, we can determine whether an offer fairly compensates you.
We Have won Millions for Injured People
Here are some situations in which we secured compensation for our clients:
- We won $1.3 million for our client who was hit by an unmarked police car. The NY police department tried to blame the accident on our client. Yet, just after giving our opening statements in court, the department settled the case.
- We secured $4 million for our client after they were hit by a car while on their motorcycle. Our client suffered paralysis as a result, and we sought compensation for their past, present, and future losses.
- We secured $1.5 million for our client who was injured in a rear-end collision. There was virtually no exterior damage to his vehicle. However, his injuries required surgery and hospitalization.
Start Your Free Case Review Now
Our lawyers on Long Island can manage your taxi cab accident case. Whether you were hurt as a passenger, motorist, or pedestrian, we can help.
Connect with our firm by dialing (516) 358-6900.
For a free legal consultation with a taxi cab accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900